Table of Contents
- What is data science?
- What does a data scientist do? Data scientist job description
- Data scientist roles and responsibilities
- Data scientists skills and requirements
- 8 Best data scientist certifications
- Data scientist salary in the USA
- Denken Solutions for data scientist jobs near you
Organizations strongly adhere to data-driven analytics and interpretations currently to frame the proactive strategies and prognostication of company growth. Data science emerged as the most rapidly growing industry for handling all the unfolded data insights for sophisticated data extraction in every business. Data science is marked by its vital existence in industries like healthcare, information technology, education, finance, e-commerce, government, and retail- to name a few. As the demand for data science in businesses is escalating, there is no doubt about the scope of data scientists in the career market but, it can also be one of the most difficult areas to break into. There are several skills and certifications required to be successful in this industry, so let’s take a look at what you need to know to get started in data science today.
What is data science?
Data science integrates mathematics, statistics, computer science, computer programming, sophisticated analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning with unique subject matter knowledge to mine the data and present it well to help organizations in decision-making. Identifying a large amount of data and shaping the successful data science lifecycle are significant concepts involved in data science and are the major roles of a skilled data scientist.
What does a data scientist do? Data scientist job description
In general, a data scientist is a professional who performs comprehensive checks on data and manages a giant database to extract and interpret that data to help organizations take proactive measures. Data scientists leverage mathematical skills and interpretation skills in collecting, processing, analyzing, and extrapolating huge amounts of structured and unstructured data to derive data-driven solutions for the company. Hence it is no surprise that Data scientist jobs are known as one the high paying IT jobs in the current century as per LinkedIn search insights in recent years.
Data scientist roles and responsibilities
If you want to work as a data scientist, you need first to grasp what are the roles and responsibilities of the profession. Let’s look at major data scientist duties and responsibilities that current professionals do on the job, so you can get an idea of how you might use your own skills and talents in this data scientist career path.
- Examine the adequacy of data sources and data collection strategies and further develop data assortment techniques
- perform calculations and outline examinations to consolidate, merge, extract, and gather data to deliver fitted reports to partners, clients, or the wider business audience.
- keep up with clear and intelligible correspondence, both verbal and written, to comprehend required data and produce reports.
- use AI tools, machine learning tools, and measurable methods to frame solutions for the issues
- search for possibilities to utilize data reports/datasets/code/models across different capabilities in the association (for instance in the HR, sales, and marketing departments)
- work intimately with your business to recognize issues and use the information to propose answers for successful decision making
- Test all data mining models to choose suitable ones to integrate into any project.
- make clear reports that recount how customers or clients work with the business
- Stay up-to-date with the most recent innovations, strategies, and techniques
- remain inquisitive and excited about utilizing calculations to mitigate the problems and accelerate others to observe the advantage of your work.
- Analyzing big data structures and identifying patterns to develop conclusions in presentable formats.
- Present solutions and create strategies for all business challenges arising in the departments on the ground of strong data extrapolation.
Data scientists skills and requirements
A professional data scientist needs to possess advanced technical skills such as mathematical modeling capabilities, programming abilities, database design skills, communication skills, and diagnostic reasoning abilities. They typically use tools like statistical analysis, predictive modeling, machine learning, and other statistical methods to help a company solve its problems. The following are the essential skills and qualifications to excel as a data scientist in every industry.
- Basic qualification for a data scientist: The professional should be undergraduate or postgraduate in computer science, mathematics, and/or science-based subjects.
- Desirable knowledge: The general and in-depth knowledge in disciplines like physics, statistics, finance, economy, management, information technology, and relevant subjects.
- Programming skills: Strong knowledge of programming languages and database interrogation tools like R, Python, SQL, Hive, Pig, Scala, Java, Perl, C++, Julia, MATLAB, TensorFlow, and any other computer science skills are required to outshine the data scientist from packs.
- Mathematical and statistical skills: The ability to solve complicated mathematical functions and find ways to incorporate results in pattern analysis is a significant skill for a data expert. Other important mathematical and statistical skills for data scientists include calculating tremendous data based on multivariable calculus and linear algebra. The adept in differentiation, derivatives, cost functions, functions (step function, Sigmoid function, etc), maxima and minima, scalar functions and vector functions, and a lot more add the value of skillsets.
- Expertise in data wrangling, database management, data visualization, and data interpretation.
- Knowledge of Microsoft products for the presentation of data to stakeholders.
- The data scientist should possess fluent communication skills to disseminate the strategies to the team and present the summary to the business audience. The way of communication can create a big impact on your project outcome and how it is leading to a successful deployment.
- Exceptional team working skills to collaborate with engineering and development teams to share ideas and reach data-driven conclusions.
- Great analytical, management, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective listening skills to understand the key points of clients and stakeholders in order to deliver the structured data presentation.
- Attention to detail skills to spot errors and rectify them in the correct stages to deliver faultless reports.
8 Best data scientist certifications
- SAS certifications (SAS advanced analytics professional certification & SAS certified data curation professional)
- Certified data professional (CDP)
- Microsoft Azure certification (Microsoft certified Azure data scientist associate)
- IBM data science professional certificate
- Google professional data engineer certification
- Harvardx’s data science professional certificate
- Cloudera certified associate (CCA) data analyst
- Cloudera certified professional (CCP) data engineer
Data scientist salary in the USA
How Much Do Data Scientists Make? It is a trending question on Google which demonstrates the interest of aspirants in evaluating the payscale of a data scientist career so that they can decide whether this job is worth pursuing. A data scientist’s salary varies depending on their title and experience. Based on the salary insight studies of Glassdoor.com, the average data scientist entry-level salary is $93,167 per year. As you become more experienced, your salaries will increase from $156,000 per year to higher based on your skills and qualifications.
Denken Solutions for data scientist jobs near you
With the increased demand for data scientist jobs, more companies are creating open positions near you in the USA. Check our current openings and apply for high-paying data scientist jobs right away! Become a data scientist at top IT companies in the USA with a payscale above industry standards with Denken Solutions!